Corner of Winchester Ave. and South Fork Rd. Moorefield, WV
There has been an Episcopal presence in Hardy County since 1753 when a legislative act formed both Hampshire County (which included Hardy County) and the Hampshire Parish of the Church of England in Virginia. The location of the original Hampshire parish was in Hardy County just above the Trough.
Come worship with us and spend some time after service in the Fellowship Hall next door, Get a sense of the history within our walls and then help us write the next chapter! In the words of the Gospel of John: "Come and see."
The revolution saw most Anglican clergy return to England and it was seventy years later before Episcopalians were again active in Hardy County. An Episcopalian service was conducted in the Presbyterian Church in 1875 and in 1876, Emmanuel Parish was formed. After raising sufficient funds both locally and by sending 500 postal cards to people outside this area, construction was begun in August of 1876 and the building, now called Emmanuel Church, was consecrated in 1881. The first minister, the Rev. J. Dudley Ferguson came to Moorefield in 1878, and Emmanuel Church has been active in worship and community ministry ever since then.